Puremix today announce the release of their new video tutorial from Luca Pretolesi, “Luca Pretolesi Mixing Major Lazer”.
Multi-platinum mixing and mastering engineer Luca Pretolesi takes you step by step through his entire mixing and mastering process for Major Lazer’s hit single “Light It Up (Remix)”.
Luca is Major Lazer’s “Finisher” and helps Diplo and his team combine multiple sessions into one sonic masterpiece.
Learn Luca’s hybrid workflow and see how he takes a great static mix, applies stereo bus processing and then digs into the details it takes to create a hit-sounding EDM record.
Luca teaches you his tips and tricks for mixing modern electronic/pop music including:
- Mixing with the final master in mind
- Create a present midrange on a dense mix
- Analog and digital stem mixing process using analog EQ, compression and summing
- Add thickness and a more organic sound to electronic ITB productions
- Removing reverb from a synth stem
- Add top-end clarity and mid-range punch heard on every modern pop and EDM mix
- Sidechain filtering for a focused bus compression
- Multiband stereo image processing to open up the top end with the perfect amount of dimension
- Automating the master bus for maximum impact on the drop
Hear countless before and after comparisons to learn the sound and attitude that’s required to create a killer mix.
When it comes to mixing EDM there are no rules and now is your chance to see how Grammy nominated mixing/mastering engineer Luca Pretolesi breaks the rules and delivers a slamming sounding mix!
BONUS: The artist and their label was gracious enough to allow pureMixers the chance to try their hand at mixing a portion of the the song using the same raw multitrack stems Luca mixed.
About Luca Pretolesi :
Luca (Credits: Major Lazer, Steve Aoki, Borgeous, Dimitry Vegas and Like Mike, Snoop Lion, Diplo) stands out among a sea of electronic engineers with his unique hybrid set-up, mixing old and new technology for an end result like no other. In place of a traditional mixing studio, he has created a mix of equipment including computer plugins, and custom made hardware, EQ’s and compressors, and high-end mastering gear. This combination of analog and digital parts allows him to add his touch to any project of any style as he has the best of both technological worlds at his fingertips.